Toddler dies after being left in hot car
Posted on June 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM
AMMON, Idaho -- Officials with the Bonneville County sheriff's department say a 21-month-old southeastern Idaho girl has died after she was left in a vehicle.
A news release says deputies and paramedics were called shortly after 5:15 p.m. Tuesday to a residence in Ammon, just east of Idaho Falls. CPR was attempted but Elizabeth Randall was pronounced dead at a hospital in Idaho Falls.
The National Weather Service recorded temperatures in the upper 80s and low 90s at the Idaho Falls airport on Tuesday afternoon.
Detectives are investigating and an autopsy is planned.
Officials did not say how long the girl might have been left in the vehicle.
Unattended toddler dies in hot car
RUTH BROWN, CODY McDEVITT
In a quiet neighborhood filled with family homes, fresh-cut grass and toys scattered in yards, a 21-month-old girl was found unresponsive after being left unattended in a car on a hot afternoon.
Elizabeth Randall, of Bonneville County, was found at 5:17 p.m. Tuesday in a vehicle parked on the 600 block of South Belle Arbor Drive in Ammon.
It was not clear Wednesday whether the girl's death was caused by being left inside the hot car or another factor. Her autopsy is scheduled today. Detectives are investigating the death.
The temperature at 5 p.m. Tuesday was approximately 90 degrees in Idaho Falls, said Vernon Preston, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Pocatello.
Bonneville County Sheriff's deputies and paramedics responding to the scene found the girl inside a maroon Honda Accord. Sheriff's Sgt. Jeff Edwards said they attempted to perform CPR.
Elizabeth was transported to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center where she died.
Jan Null, a certified consulting meteorologist from San Francisco, said that if the child's death was heatstroke related, it would be the 13th such death in the nation this year and the first in Idaho since 2007, when a 15-month-old boy died in Orofino.
Given the 90-degree temperature outside, Null said the car's interior temperature could have been in excess of 135 degrees.
The car in which Elizabeth was found was one of many cars, minivans and SUVs parked throughout the neighborhood, which features few trees offering shade for parked cars.
Neighbors were shocked.
"All I know is that the baby was choking on something when the mom was going to get her girls from the neighbor's house," neighbor Lori Tyler said. "We were all in shock because they're a great family."
The car in which Elizabeth was found was parked in front of a residence that was not her family's home, Edwards said.
It was unclear how long she had been in the car, whether the car's engine was running or if she was held in place by a seat belt.
Ruth Brown can be reached at 542-6750.